December 18, 2012

G & P Come to Boise

Grandma and Papa made a stop in town this week to celebrate a little of the Christmas season.  It was a weekend with touches of Christmas throughout, but without the craziness that the last few days before Christmas can bring.  In other words, it was perfect.  We went to the Idaho Botanical Garden for "Winter Garden a Glow" and were blown away by the lights, model trains, choirs, fires, and Christmas spirit throughout.  It was cold, but it was beautiful.  We saw Santa Paws earlier in the day (picture to come), but skipped Santa Claus there due to a long and cold line. We drove around and looked at a few Christmas lights.  We enjoyed Christmas music every day in the house and in the car. We attended a great church service. Papa topped off the weekend by getting in his first reading of the Polar Express to Grady.  With our little sprinkles of Christmas celebration here and there, I think that we very successfully completed the Christmas opening ceremonies. 

We filled the rest of our weekend by eating, drinking, watching football, visiting with Aunt Julie and Uncle Steve, playing games, taking naps and soaking up all the time that we had together.  Thanks to two grandparents who are willing to forgo their own meal to tend to a fussy baby, we even got two nice dinners in.

In light of the unthinkable, tragic news out of Newtown, CT, these times together seem to take on just that much more meaning.  I endeavor to be thankful for every laugh together, every goodnight kiss, every moment that has been given to us to enjoy this wonderful time of year. 

Maybe in part in an effort to just be in the moment together, I took a break from annoying every family member with a camera in their face every five seconds and just enjoyed my time with them.  I would love to have a picture of Papa reading the Polar Express to Grady for the first time, but it was also nice to just sit there with Papa in the rocking chair and Chris, Grandma, Grady, Bella and I sprawled across the floor listening, enjoying, and just being together.   

I did break out the camera for the night at the Botanical Garden, although pictures just cannot do it justice.  A big thanks to Grandma and Papa for coming to visit us during this busy time of year!



Probably the only time in my life I have seen Kim in a hat.  We forced it on her.

Looking cold.



Grady was there and probably warmer than anyone. 

Would you believe it if I told you that this coordinating sweater threesome was not planned?  I cannot get enough of these Johnson boys. 




Chris, Grady and I celebrated my birthday last night with a visit to the indoor Santa (picture to come), take out from Cheesecake Factory and a warm cozy night at home. I did the birthday thing right by scheduling Grady's Dr. apt. for yesterday afternoon so I was conveniently able to leave the office at 2:00.  Grady's 4 month (yes, he is actually 4.5 months) check-up was great.  He is 14.5 pounds (17%), 26.3 inches long (75%), and a healthy little man, which is all we can ask for.  I think it is safe to say that he still sits in the long and skinny camp.  Grady was on his best behavior from the moment I got home yesterday, which was the best gift of all. Thanks to my boys and for everyone else for making me feel special on my birthday, even if I have to put up with signs like these :)


No comments:

Post a Comment